World Oceans Day is TODAY!
Join Jack Johnson and many others around the world who are riding the #WaveForChange!
“Take the #WaveforChange challenge and take action for the ocean by recording a video of yourself making a promise and doing the wave. Maybe you’ll give up using plastic straws or perhaps you’ll commit to participating in two beach cleanups a year! Sign your commitment by doing the wave and sharing it with the world.”
World Oceans Day has grown tremendously each year since The Ocean Project started coordinating it in 2002. With hundreds of partners involved, and the United Nations officially recognizing June 8 as World Oceans Day in 2008, millions of people have been reached worldwide.
Why Celebrate World Oceans Day?
A healthy world ocean is critical to our survival. Every year, World Oceans Day provides a unique opportunity to honor, help protect, and conserve the world’s oceans. Oceans are very important:
- They generate most of the oxygen we breathe
- They help feed us
- They regulate our climate
- They clean the water we drink
- They offer a pharmacopoeia of medicines
- They provide limitless inspiration!
Now Each Of Us Can Give Back
Participate in a World Oceans Day event or activity this year and help protect the ocean for the future! It’s up to each one of us to help ensure that our ocean is healthy for future generations. World Oceans Day allows us to:
- Change perspective – encourage individuals to think about what the ocean means to them and what it has to offer all of us with hopes of conserving it for present and the future generations.
- Learn – discover the wealth of diverse and beautiful ocean creatures and habitats, how our daily actions affect them, and how we are all interconnected.
- Change our ways – we are all linked to, and through, the ocean! By taking care of your backyard and helping in your community, you are acting as a caretaker of our ocean. Making small modifications to your everyday habits will make a difference, and involving your family, friends, and community will benefit our blue planet even more!
- Celebrate – whether you live inland or on the coast, we are all connected to the ocean. Take the time to think about how the ocean affects you, and how you affect the ocean, and then organize or participate in activities that celebrate our ocean.
How Can You Get Involved?
Visit worldoceansday.org – a free resource for everyone around the world. It’s fun and easy!
- Plan your event and submit it to the event listings
- Find a planned event to attend
- Spread the word about ocean conservation: Share it online
Despite the huge challenges facing the world’s ocean, by working together we can support a healthy ocean that is able to sustainably provide for the billions of humans, plants, and animals that depend on it every day. On World Oceans Day, people around our blue planet celebrate and honor the ocean, which connects us all. Get together with your family, friends, community, and the planet to start creating a better future. Working together, we can and will protect our shared ocean. We hope you will be a part of this growing global celebration!
The Ocean Project has promoted and coordinated this event since 2002. They work in partnership with hundreds of organizations and networks, including World Ocean Network, the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, and their activities are supported thanks to many others.
Read the original content from worldoceansday.org.
Images taken from World Oceans Day